Uncategorized My doctor thought I had cancer.  January 20, 2017

January 2016 I went to my doctor for a routine wellness exam. During the visit my doctor found some abnormalities and wanted to take biopsies to see if I had cancer. The fear and terror is not something I can explain, it has to be felt. I cried when I got back to my car I don’t know how I made it home. That night I sobbed while my husband held me.

What my doctor didn’t know was that I had been struggling with realizing my own mortality and had become an undiagnosed hypochondriac. I was also battling re-experiencing PTSD, depression and anxieties.

I don’t have cancer. There’s nothing like a life threatening diagnosis that will make you think about your life and how you’re living it. This is when minimalism started to really introduce itself in helping me with my mental health, stress and refocusing on what really matters to me.

We live in America. I was always trying to get somewhere FAST, comparing myself to others, consuming more and more junk putting us further into debt, indulging in unhealthy habits and at the end of the day still unhappy.

There has been so much pain and suffering this past year. I have so much repairing to do in my relationship with God, my marriage, parenting and friendships. I no longer desire stuff that only stresses me out and pulls me further from my purpose and values.

When we gave up 80% of our junk we didn’t focus on what we were losing but what we were gaining. I’m not saying minimalism is the answer for everyone but maybe with an open mind it is.

Tags : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Comments

• Christine posted on January 20, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Some good food for thought 😊

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 1:52 am

Thank you Christine for reading!

• Corbett (@thefarawaybae) posted on January 20, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Your honesty is refreshing. Minimalism is probably the answer to 99% of my stresses, but it’s a tough step to take. Fantastic job taking a hold on your life and getting it done. Kudos!

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 1:53 am

It is tough but so worth it. We’re able to save money for family trips were going to take in the next couple of months.

• Michele (_houseofboys_) posted on January 20, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Great blog ! It’s so important to step back breathe and take control of your life .

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 1:53 am

Yes I’m grateful for the shift this event caused.

• Yuriem posted on January 20, 2017 at 11:44 pm

The hubby and I have been considering minimalism too! I feel like it keeps your mind less stressed and healthy. Thats why this new year we have opted to be outside more and Adventure then buy material things. I think it’s the best thing for anyone really.

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 1:57 am

It’s definitely a hard decision and there’s costs to count. You can do it!

• Kari posted on January 21, 2017 at 2:51 am

Good things to think about! I am glad you were able to make decisions that helped you and your family. ❤

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Thank you Kari for reading, it’s been a big change and I thought it would be harder on the kids but they’re the REAL minimalists. 😉

• Chelsea posted on January 21, 2017 at 11:49 am

Thanks for sharing! I have really wanted to minimize things lately. And wow, how scary.

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Thank you Chelsea for reading, it was a month of agony but I’m so grateful I went through the experience.

• Burgandi posted on January 21, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for sharing and helping me get my butt in gear. We ave been planning ro minimize for months.

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Thank you Burg for reading. I know you guys desire to travel more, minimalizing has helped us do that. 😊

• Wave to Mummy posted on January 21, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I know what you mean… when you are sick or think you might die it really makes you evaluate your life. On a much less serious way, we went camping last summer for a week. Coming back to our huge house and mounds of stuff was weird. We didn’t need any of it, not really.

• thehahnestlife posted on January 21, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Wow I bet, a week of camping without all of our stuff would make us realize how little we need to survive and how much joy we actually experience without it.

• Jenna (thatmamalove) posted on January 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm

This post is perfect to remember why we are here on Earth and the importance of people not things!!💕

• foryouson posted on May 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Life is about experiences not things. Moments that make up an amazing world. Creating the world you live in is so important. I don’t know how I would label the life we live. We concentrate on being present and seeing each other. I love this post. I also know what it’s like to feel how important life is when you feel it could slip away. Thank you for sharing

• tiffany posted on July 31, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Thank you so much. Yes it’s so empowering to realize how valuable life is and reevaluate how you’re living it. Thank you for reading!