Home Design 3 Ways to Find Your Home Design Style November 21, 2017

This is one of the toughest things to crack. I like to reminisce about our apartment in our first year of marriage. Blank walls, water bed, big box T.V. and absolutely no color, those were simpler times. But yikes, right? Are water beds still being sold? I don’t want to know. Part of it was we got married young and had no money, but now I truly believe that you can still have great style and not a lot of money. In fact I feel when you don’t have tons of money you’re forced to be creative with what you have. So maybe you’re frustrated because you don’t know what your style is or perhaps you like a lot of styles and can’t decide which is you. I’m excited to help you get closer to figuring it out.

1). Create a modern day mood board. Pinterest!

Create a board and name it “My Design Style” or whatever you like. Start corralling through photos and pinning one’s you absolutely love I would say anywhere from 30-100. Once you have a good amount of photos pinned sit down and scroll through the photos you saved and take mental notes of what in those photos are attractive to you? Are you pinning photos with lots of potted plants and greenery in the home? Maybe photos of rooms with lots of color? Or photos of rooms with lots of rustic pieces, white walls and shiplap?

2). Get rid of it.

Sell or get rid of all the stuff in your home you don’t like but make work because you bought it and now you have to keep it. Adopt Marie Kondo’s question “Does this spark joy?” Never force yourself to live with things you don’t like, that is a recipe for bad attitudes and vibes. I will say though try to see if you can paint it or give it a new purpose in your home. But if it’s still not working give yourself permission to let it go. By getting rid of the stuff you don’t love you will start to see what you keep and love and it will send you in the right direction to finding your style.

3). Don’t be afraid to blend styles.

When I begin designing a room I first start by thinking, what’s the purpose of this room and how do I want to feel when I am in it? My home design style is a mix of Artful Bohemian/Mid-Century Modern/Polished Vintage. In our open concept dining and living room area I painted a wall black and have several potted plants on a DIY concrete/wooden shelf (boho). I then have an oil painting centered between two windows with a thrifted 5 candle stick holder, hanging next to the painting (vintage). On an adjacent wall we have a mid-century modern stand house’s our velvet record player (mid-century modern and boho). It is a mix of styles but it works.

I hope this has brought you closer to finding your style! Thanks for reading!

Tags : , , , , , , ,

11 Comments

• ashley peavey posted on November 21, 2017 at 8:20 pm

I love your decorations! So fun 🙂

• Natashya Newman posted on November 21, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Loved this! An easy, simple guide to finding your home style and how to get there. I needed this right now.

• Amanda Elize posted on November 21, 2017 at 10:23 pm

These are helpful tips! I like the idea of creating a Pinterest board geared specifically towards your style. This helps so much with figuring out exactly what you like and what you don’t like!

• Lacey posted on November 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I would love to see this DIY concrete/wood shelf that you talked about.

• Rachel posted on November 22, 2017 at 5:45 pm

I haven’t been able to crack that design nut either. I like so many different styles. I’m just going to have to combine a few and let the chips fall where they may.

• elizabeth hurt posted on November 22, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Getting rid of it is the thing I need the most help with! lol! Great ideas here, thanks so much! I need to do this!

• Evelyn @PathofPresence posted on November 23, 2017 at 10:47 pm

This is great advice. My favorite is the 2nd one – throw it out. I love making space and your advice of not forcing yourself to keep it just b/c you have it is right on. Thanks so much – I really enjoyed your post 👍🏼

• Betty posted on November 24, 2017 at 4:47 am

I really suck at interior decorating so I love these tips! Getting rid of stuff is important; I tend to hoard everything, even when I don’t even like the style anymore.

• Nita posted on November 24, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Sometimes I just want to scrap everything in my house and start all over again. The thing I find most difficult is when moving houses and trying to start fresh, but I’m stuck with the old furniture that may not look as good as they did in the old house! I don’t want to necessary replace anything as thats such a waste and still actually love them. Maybe I’m just a sentimental hoarder.

• ohmummymia posted on November 25, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Lovely tips! It’s so true that we should not to have things which we don’t like!

• Natalie posted on November 25, 2017 at 10:37 pm

I definitely have learned I like a mixture of styles- usually vintage and mid century. Also, your photos are lovely.